Friday, April 27, 2012

What Is A Non-Traditional Student




A non-traditional student is typically someone who attends a college or university, who is not in their late teens. Although there is no litmus test for whether or not you are a non-traditional student, the common elements among all non-traditional students is the part time element and the advance age. The number of non-traditional students has grown tremendously due to the recent economic downturn. The increase of Distance Learning or Online degree programs, which offer more flexibility than a traditional institution have also added to the rising trend. Over 40% of all college students can be considered non-traditional.


You are a Non Traditional Student if
  • You delayed enrollment
  • You attend part time or part of the academic year
  • You attend school and work full time (35 hours or more per week)
  • You have dependents, including spouse, children, or other
  • You have a G.E.D. (Graduation Equivalent Degree) and not a high school diploma
I went back to school 20 years after I was awarded my Bachelor’s Degree. What a difference 20 years make! Armed with a lifetime of experience, through working in the field, raising children, taking out home loans, and interacting with every level and variety of people; I was a much better student the second time around. I was less self-absorbed and more self-aware. Not doing my homework, the research paper, the oral presentations, was not an option. I was more driven to succeed, because I knew the value of putting in the effort, doing the work, and learning the material. It was the difference between the 20 year old me and the 40 year old me. I had matured. I highly recommend to all the colleges and universities out there to recruit and accept more non-traditional students as the return is much higher. I also highly recommend those of us who are not 18 years old to return to school to learn new skills, and mentor those who are not as experienced as you to succeed. It is possible to be the student and the teacher at the same time, and succeed in both pursuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment